Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday Evening Ramblings

I'm still here.  I haven't gone dark.  I just have been supremely busy and somewhat pensive lately.   

Luckily I have some trips planned in the next couple of months, which are always great fodder for blog entries.  Which reminds me - I am still behind on a few travelogues.

I had my first pang of I'm-going-to-miss-this-place today.  I still have oodles of time before departure, but I'm experiencing a series of 'lasts' already.  Like September and October and, soon, Hajj.  Already passed my last Eid al-Fitr.

And perhaps the most important thing to post is that we are all mourning the passing of HRH Crown Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz al-Saud this week.  He died after a long illness yesterday in NYC.  The official period of mourning begins Tuesday.

Sultan al-Khair was beloved by his people and will be very much missed.  President Obama said it best:  "[Sultan] was a strong supporter of the deep and enduring partnership between our two countries...  On behalf of the American people, I extend my deepest condolences to King Abdullah, the royal family, and the people of Saudi Arabia."

And with that, it's time for bed.  More to come.  Soon.  Ish.

No comments: