Thursday, March 15, 2012

How Sweet It Is

One of the most difficult things about the Foreign Service is missing what's going on at home with family and friends.  I've been pretty lucky in my short career-this-far to get back for many milestones, but I've already missed the wedding of one of my best friends.  And that really sucks.  It's something you just don't get back.

So when it does work out, it's that much sweeter.  Yesterday one of my best friends (the wonderful L from many of my previous blog posts) told me about a special day coming up for her in London.  I already missed her graduation for her DPhil, and I really, really, really didn't want to miss this.  So I asked my supervisor for a few days of leave, which was granted.  Then I did a quick flight search - which was disappointing.  For some reason it's quite expensive to fly to London from Jeddah.  But I managed to find a direct flight for a price that didn't scare me too much.  So I bought the ticket.  Then I found a reasonably-priced hotel around the corner from her flat.  I booked a room.  And then I jumped up and down for the rest of the day!  As did L when I told her I was coming. 

The timing is perfect - right in between big projects at work - and the weather should be decent in London.  London is one of my favorite cities, even though I've spent comparatively little time there.  So this will be a wonderful time to soak up all things English for a true Anglophile.  And spend an incredibly special day with an incredibly special friend.

Yay!

4 comments:

Nomads By Nature said...

You ROCK, Sadie ~ what a great friend you are! Have a blast in London with I. and safe travels!

eve said...

how excellent! I love impulsive stuff like this. I'm so glad it worked out, you two will have a great time.

Heather Dray said...

Awww how awesome! You so deserve it. Enjoy!!!

Jen said...

Have fun!!